Friday, August 31, 2007

Learning Manners

Brent and I were discussing teaching Samantha manners. Brent commented that he's been consciously using please and thank you with Sam whenever he talks to her. I thought that I had been doing that, too. but then I started noticing what I say to her. Most of the time they are just commands: No! Don't touch that! Give that to Mommy! and so on. I realized that she's not the only who will learn manners over the next few months. I will also need to remember to say "please" and "thank you." Not just to model the behavior, but because Samantha deserves the same respect I expect from her.

It's easy to get in a rut of stopping Sam from doing things that might hurt her or break something. It's hard to get far enough ahead of her to direct her toward something constructive. But when I do, it's a lot more of "Let's push this button" or "Can you knock over this tower of blocks?" instead of "Don't push that button" (on the VCR) or "Don't know over that stack of newly folded clothes" (her favorite laundry day activity!)

Samantha is growing so quickly and turning into such a little girl instead of a baby. It's fun to watch, but also a little sad. I guess that's why people have more children! So they can experience the baby months again. I want another baby for that reason. That and Sam's going to need a playmate!

No comments: